Thursday, March 17, 2005

"corporate VNRs, the biggest and richest part of the fake news business"

This afternoon I listened in on a conference call among some of the top PR execs in the business of producing video news releases (VNRs), more honestly called fake news. I can report they are proud and confident that the recent "flap" on the front page of Sunday's New York Times about the Bush administration's use of fake news will amount to nothing at all. These PR executives are elated that the New York Times piece was about government propaganda, and not about their much more widespread and lucrative production of corporate VNRs, the biggest and richest part of the fake news business.

....The conference call was arranged by PR trade press maven Jack O'Dwyer. It featured top PR executives in the fake news business, including Doug Simon of D S Simon Productions, Stan Zeitlin of West Glen Communications, Larry Moskowitz of Medialink Worldwide and KEF Media's Kevin Foley. These are the companies that are producing and distributing the thousands of VNRs sent to TV networks and stations each year. The VNRs are fake news stories, paid for by clients ranging from the Pentagon to Monsanto, that are aired by TV news producers as if they were independent reporting and the work of real journalists, rather than PR operatives who used to be real journalists.

The real journalists at the TV networks and stations are engaging in fraud and plagiarism on a massive scale when they pawn off these VNRs as real news. If you were a journalism student with an assignment to produce a TV news story, and your professor discovered that someone else had done all your work for you and given the story to you to pass off as your own, you should be expelled. But in the real world of TV journalism, you would just collect your paycheck and go home.

There is also payola involved. Money flows from the VNR producing PR firms to the TV networks for "distribution costs," and the networks send the VNRs out to their affiliates for use on the air.
...read it all: PR Execs Undeterred by Fake News "Flap", PR Watch

6 Comments:

Blogger Manxuria Investments Ltd said...

For the first time today I took some time to look for infomation and related pages to this very topic. I also have a site related to this and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for this great blog high yield investment

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Success is my highest priority. I am searching for successful minded people.

I have a argent comptant site/blog. It

pretty much covers argent comptant related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

5:37 PM  
Blogger Manxuria Investments Ltd said...

For the first time today I took some time to look for infomation and related pages to this very topic. I also have a site related to this and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for this great blog ariel mutual funds

1:51 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

I am Redactor, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON Opportunities and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for Opportunities related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

12:07 PM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Hi Redactor. I really like what you have done with your blog! Great post you have here with . If you visit resumes maybe you will find a bit of resumes information that could help you, too.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Rita Earle said...

Hi Redactor, I was just blog surfing looking for information on graphics and found you! Your post about really got me thinking. I think you might find my graphics related site interesting too.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home